Tuesday, June 14, 2011

poetic dreams

I went to my town's Used Book Fair, it was wonderful. The best deal was $8 for a large paper-shopping-bag full of books. I bought 15: 3 fictions novels, 4 books on psychology/dreaming (including The Interpretation of Dreams-Freud), aswell as, Brave New World, Studies in Zen, and a few more that looked interesting.

I haven't started any of them yet, but just being at the Used Book Fair made me want to become an avid reader, maybe even librarian...That happened to me last time I went to the library (to return a book). I put the book in the outside slot for returns, but I still felt compeled to go inside.

I wasn't really looking for anything, so I started with non-fiction, and then looked through every single bookshelf untill I got to graphic novels. I don't know why I decided to do that, it must have taken an hour...but it was plesant, and quite, and insightful.

Anyway, I left with 4 books (3 poetry collections, and a Paulo Coelho book). I finished Xaipe, by E.E. Cummings, late last night. I have never read any of his poetry before, I really love his use of (these) and other punctuation. He also spells and splits up words; some of the words didn't make sense untill I said them aloud in my head. There are several of his poems (in Xaipe) that I identify with, but here is the first one that i really liked, the 6th poem in the book:

dying is fine) but Death

?o
baby
i

wouldn't like

Death if Death
were
good:for

when(instead of stopping to think)you

begin to feel of it,dying
's miraculous
why?be

cause dying is

perfectly natural;perfectly
putting
it mildly lively(but

Death

is strictly
scientific
& artificial &

evil & legal)

we thank thee
god
almighty for dying

(forgive us,o life!the sin of Death

No comments:

Post a Comment