Thursday, May 5, 2011

New Porto!

It says you have to "like" them on Facebook in order to listen their new stuff, but the link on the title of this post should get you there. Portugal. The Man is one of those bands that itsn't really 'relevant' but I still chill out to them. I am really happy to hear new stuff, I hope its good.

Last March I saw them live at the 930 Club with one of my best friends. It was probably one of the best shows I've ever been to, they are such great performers, and the music was even more enticing and edgy (via bass and distortion) when they played. I think they turned their 5 minute songs into 10 minute jams in a lot of different styles (jazz, folk, metal?). But I guess the best part is John Gourley's mustache:

Lookin' funky bb!

Hispter-licious

He has no eyes, just stache.

They took a photo of the crowd durring the show. But I am so disapointed, I was just barely cropped-out of this photo. I was in the front row, all the way to the left (I should have been next to the guy with the scarf). But if you look closely, I am in this pic of the opening band...hidden behind the keyboard.

I was disapointed to find out that they signed to a major record label (Atlantic) last year, but they wrote a long letter (via email list) to their fans about the decision to sign. The letter said something like: 'we've thought it over for a long time, because we've never wanted to be on a major label...but we thought it through...they are going to give us special artistic freedom..and all we want to do it make music, making money is just a benefit...' Then they said really nice stuff like: 'we really appreciate that our fans are happy to see us evolve as musicians...' The letter made me feel a little more confident about their decision.

Then I saw this video (below), and decided I wanted to be best friends with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment